A disclaimer – I get increasingly annoyed by opinions that state something as “the best”. I watch a lot of television. I enjoy a lot of television. These were my favorites of the year:
- Big Little Lies (HBO)- There is a moment in the last episode of Big Little Lies that only Reese Witherspoon could have delivered, and it encapsulates the point of the entire season. My sister and I were shouting at the television. Filmed in Carmel, CA where I had just visited, made it surreal.
- The Leftovers (HBO) – I feel only fans of LOST can truly appreciate the masterpiece that was the leftovers. The second to last episode of the series was one of the most moving hours of television I’ve ever watched.
- Stranger Things (Netflix)- The first episodes and the finale were just so much fun to watch. Bonus points for an amazing soundtrack.
- WestWorld (HBO) – I watched this early in the year and need to watch it again. The need to know what was going to happen often overshadowed some of the character and other story plots and I think they deserve my full attention. Delores has become one of my all time favorite characters
- One Day at A time (Netflix)- Everything I have ever wanted in a sitcom
- Game of Thrones (HBO)- Grumble grumble Jon and Dany. I did not love this season of Game of Thrones. Episode 4 (Jamie and Bronn YAY) and Cersei’s monologus in the finale really saved it for me. Heres hoping the books weren’t what was holding this whole thing together
- Handmaids Tale (hulu)- Nothing I can really add to what has already been said about the series.
- Orange is the New Black (Netflix)- I think I am the only one who enjoyed season 5, but I did enjoy it. I liked that they shook up a lot of the pairs and groups. I imagine the allies and friendships would be unpredictable in these situations. And it did pioneer so much of the progress we see on television and continues to do just that.
- Chefs Table (Netflix)- There are so so many shows about food and cooking. Chefs table does it so well. But more than food and cooking this is a show about how difficult it can be to be creative, and more importantly remain creative. These are the absolute best of their field. It highlights the amount of work and how abstract people must be to achieve this.
- Bob’s Burgers (hulu)- 2017 sucked a bit yeah? Since I was a kid I have turned to media like television and moves as a distraction and nothing did this as well as Bobs Burgers this year. I find the kids to be very real. Reminds me of shows like The Simpsons and even friends where you find something funny every rewatchHonorable Mention: The Sinner – Very little on network television that I like anymore. But I really liked this. Probably the only show other than Game of tThrones that I didn’t binge. And it made me miss the weekly conversations around television. Guessing and trying to figure out what was going to happen.
Keep in mind, this year Amazon and hulu both offer the ability to add HBO for $15 a month. Easy to binge several series in just a few weeks.